Assessment of the impacts of climate on the stability of the Amazon Forest (2015-2017)
Funding: Brazilian Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communications and IDB
Main results: Climatic changes in Amazonia can cause an economic impact of up to USD$ 3.65 trillion. Integrated ecological characterization of the AmazonFACE experimental site. Two editions of the Amazonia & Climate Change field course.
- Fleischer, K. et al., 2019. Amazon forest response to CO2 fertilization dependent on plant phosphorus acquisition. Nature Geoscience, 12:736–741.
- Lapola, D. M. et al., 2018. Limiting the high impacts of Amazon forest dieback with no-regrets science and policy action. PNAS, 115:46:11671-11679.
OpenNESS-Cana: Operationalisation of ecosystem services – opportunities involving bioenergy production and mandatory native vegetation areas in interior São Paulo (2013-2017)
Funding: European Comission – Seventh Framework Programme FP7
Main results: Mapping of ecosystem services provision in the region of Rio Claro – SP, Brazil. Public opinion survey in which the majority of the interviewed population showed an intention to financially help farmers to keep their forest áreas. Law bid on the Program of Payment for Ecosystem Services in the rural área of Rio Claro.
- Canova, M. A. et al., 2019. Different ecosystem services, same (dis)satisfaction with compensation: A critical comparison between farmers’ perception in Scotland and Brazil. Ecosystem Services, 35:164-172.
- Silva, R. A. et al., 2016. Operationalizing payments for ecosystem services in Brazil’s sugarcane belt: how do stakeholder opinions match with successful cases in Latin America? Ecosystem Services, 22: 128-138.
Paving the way for a CO2 enrichment experiment in the Amazon: a proposal for expertise Exchange (2013-2015)
Funding: São Paulo Research Foundation
Main results: Elaboration and publication of the AmazonFACE Science Plan and Implementation Strategy.
- Lapola, D. M.; Norby, R. J., 2014. AmazonFACE: Assessing the effects of increased atmospheric CO2 on the ecology and resilience of the Amazon forest – Science Plan & Implementation Strategy. Brasília: Ministério de Ciência, Tecnologia e Inovação, 54p.